[AT] Machinery storage update - LONG

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Wed Oct 10 14:24:38 PDT 2007

  A couple of months ago, I posed the question to the list of how to store
some of my machinery, mainly my combines.  I received several useful
replies, for which I thank the members of this list who took the time to
share their opinions and experiences.  The first thing I considered was
tarping the equipment which I quickly decided was not the answer in my case
due to the size and amount of equipment and the fact that we are in a high
wind area.

I then turned my attention to a more permanent solution.  The first thing I
did (as someone on the list suggested) was to contact Morton buildings. The
salesman took me to a place about 5 miles from me where they had just
completed a new building and in our discussion he told me that the smallest
building they offered in a 14 foot height (which I need for the combines)
was 40 ft. x 60 ft., which was bigger than I had planned on.  He also said
they had a sale on their new line of "Country Craft" buildings which are
about 20% cheaper and built a little lighter than their other
buildings.  We were about a far north as they could build this line due to
snow load.  When I asked the price, it was $19, 401...at which time I had
to excuse myself for a quick trip to the necessary.

On to Plan B........    We then contacted to local contractors of good
reputation to price a building 32 ft. x 48 ft. x 14 ft. tall that woul have
2 ends and one side, with the east side being completely open.  (As some
may remember from my first post, I am now storing one combine in a shed
just like that at what was my dad's place.  However, since he died, my
younger brother inherited that farm and he is sytematically booting my
equipment out in favor of storing his own equipment, much of which is
unaffected by the weather.  I have already had 2 combines out in the
weather form over a year and they were not taking it very well.)  About 2
weeks later I received the bids from the private contractors and again had
to head for the necessary.  As it turned out, both contractors were within
$18 of each other in price at $13, 482 +/- .  I then sat down at the
calculator and figured that the open front building was gong to cost me
$1.25/sq. ft. MORE than the Morton building, although total cost would be
less due to smaller size.  And that was with NO doors and only 1 long wall
and 2 short ends.  I then started thinking that, although the Morton
building was bigger than what I had planned, for $6000 I would gain 1000
sq. ft. plus the building would have 4 walls with a 20 ft. sliding door and
a walk-in door.
After talking with our friendly banker and with several friends, the
decision of which building to build became a no-brainer.

The Morton building was delivered this afternoon and I was told they are
scheduled to start Monday morning.  The building should be completed by
mid-day Wednesday of next week.  The only unexpected thing was that even
though we live on top of a gravel hill, we determined that the far end of
the building was 11 inches lower than front end, I had to have 150 yards of
fill hauled in and level it.
(Tractor reference:  I used my IH Cub with mid-mount blade to level the
fill and shape the grade.)

Will post later after it's done and let you know how things turned out.

Greg Hass
Michigan's Thumb