[Steam-engine] Lead on slide valve.

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Mon Oct 1 07:05:02 PDT 2007

Hi Rick;
     Expand this e-mail full screen so the link unfolds and is not wrapped
to the next line.
     A while back I think I told you about Terrell Croft's "Steam Engine
Principles and Practice".
     If you don't have it yet, you can download it here (about 14M):

http://books.google.com/books?id=uzoJbLVkUHUC&pg=PA1&dq=Steam+Engine+Principles+and+Practice#PPP20,M1

     This will have what you need, as well as the reasons behind the
compromises one has to make when setting slide valves.
The engine looks beautiful, but chasing knocks can be very frustrating. One
of the crazier ones I've seen had the eccentric bored
out of line with the surface the strap rides on, and every revoluton it
would wobble from side to side and slap the eccentric rod
against the clevis in the end of the valve rod. Made a pretty good noise,
yet everything was tight. My guess is you'll find something of
this sort going on somewheres. If you've covered the basics, it's time to
start looking for the crazy stuff. If nothing else, you can
download Terrel Croft's book onto a cd and offer it as a prize to whoever
can find the source of the knock! ;-)
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy