[Steam-engine] Lead on slide valve.

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Mon Oct 1 04:37:41 PDT 2007

  Howdy all;
   Wachs engine is now up and running but has obnoxious knock on both
centers.  Crankshaft, connecting rod, crosshead and slides, piston rod and
piston clearances all seem within normal operating range.

  Now we've been told knock may be due to improper valve timing.  i.e. "Lead
and Cushion" are important.

  Please keep in mind, the eccentric is keyed to the crankshaft although
some evidence of tinkering is obvious.  This engine does not have a
reverser.

  Can anyone sic me on a site or explain "proper timing methods?"

  Here's some before and after pictures of our 3 year project:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/188300547wpVzDE

  Hope ya enjoy...constructive comments are always welcome!!

  RickinMt.