[AT] Slightly OT: horse drawn implements

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Fri Nov 30 19:08:13 PST 2007

    These implements are very common with my Amish neighbors. They still use
the binders and threshing machines. Also plow with the sulky plows and put
the hay up loose. Many of them are running with the tounques cut short and
pull them behind a forecart with the seats mounted on them. Some of the
carts have 2 or 3 seats on them so the young kids can ride with them.
    They use no tractors for any power and use mostly diesel stationary
engines. I do some of their maintenance work and not unusual to see a
turbocharged 6 cylinder White diesel on a hammermill to grind feed.
    Four families bought 143 acres across the road from me. They plowed 22
straight days with 3 and 4 teams of 8 horses pulling 2 bottom plows to
finish their fall plowing. Would have liked to have taken a picture of them
working, but they don't allow their picture to be taken. Would have titled
it "Amish Plowdays". It was a sight each morning seeing them bringing the
teams to the farm leading them behind the buggies.

                    Gene