[AT] Slightly OT: horse drawn implements

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 30 14:44:08 PST 2007

Hay loaders were before my time, that video is the first time I've seen one
in operation.

While I've seen a bunch of then rusting away on farms I have never seen one
that used the chain conveyor to load the hay.  The only ones I've seen had a
metal tray (for want of a better word) that the hay slid up, propelled by
what looked like rake tines on bars that raun up the inclined tray.  Those
bars were on a series of offsets on a shaft that kept them moving to push
the hay upwards.  Pretty ingenious mechanism, as each bar moved it dipped
down towards the tray and pushed upwards, then it was lifted clear of the
hay and moved back down for another bite.