[AT] From AP Man cuts off his arm to free it from a antique corn picker.

Thomas O Mehrkam tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 27 04:46:47 PST 2007

Man cuts his arm off after it gets caught in farm machinery

Associated Press

CAMDEN, S.C. — A man whose hand got caught in a corn harvester cut off
his own arm with a pocket knife after the machine started a brush fire.

"I just told myself, 'I'm not going to die here,'" Sampson Parker said
today on NBC's "Today Show."

"I just kept fighting, kept praying. And then when I did get loose, I
jumped up running, I had blood squirting from my arm," he said of the
September incident. "It was pretty scary there for a while."

Parker, a construction supervisor in Kershaw County about 20 miles east
of Columbia, farms as a hobby. When he tried to remove a cornstalk stuck
in the rusty harvester, his hand became stuck.

"I went up with my hand, and the roller that takes the shucks off the
corn had grabbed the glove and pulled my hand into the rollers," he told
WIS-TV in Columbia.

Parker called for help, but no one was around.

After about 90 minutes, his hand went numb. He jammed a rod into the
machine and started cutting away his fingers, but the rod and machine
sparked a fire. He used his free hand to fight the fire but knew he was
in even more trouble.

"My skin was melting," he said. "Like melting plastic."

It was then that he cut off his arm to free himself.

"I could feel the nerves as I was cutting my arm off," he recalled.

Parker ran to his truck and drove to the front of his home about the
time firefighter Doug Spinks passed by. Spinks wrapped Parker's arm and
called for help.

Parker said he is doing fine now and has tried to put the ordeal behind him.

"It really wasn't the corn picker's fault. It was my fault. It was just
a mistake I made," he said.

Parker did not immediately return a telephone message today from The
Associated Press.