[AJD] 430 timing

salisburyw at comcast.net salisburyw at comcast.net
Thu Nov 22 08:24:20 PST 2007

Hi Hans,

Are you speaking of ignition timing or valve timing?  I am assuming that
you are speaking of ignition timing.

I own a 420 and I am assuming that the timing procedure for the 430 is the
same.

First, make sure that your ignition points are clean and adjusted to the
correct setting.
(I am not at home where my manuals are, so I don't want to state the point
setting for your tractor.)  Next, open the inspection plate at the rim of
the flywheel and with the spark plugs removed, bring #1 cylinder up toward
top dead center on the compression stroke.  With a flashlight shining into
that timing inspection hole, using the crank to slowly move the engine in
the direction of rotation, bring the IGN symbol right to the line in that
hole.  Then, with the coil wire removed from the center of the distributor
cap and held within about 1/4" of ground on the engine, with the ignition
switch turned on and with the distributor hold down bolt loosened, move the
distributor back and forth until the points just break, causing a spark
from the end of the coil wire to ground.  When you establish that perfect
point, lock the distributor in place.  Turn off the ignition switch!
Replace the coil wire and put the distributor cap back in place.  Close the
inspection hole and you are done.  Don't forget to remove the crank!

Hope this helps.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bill Salisbury