[AT] OT - paint stripping

Mike msm10301 at juno.com
Sat Nov 17 20:51:36 PST 2007

Hi Ed,
The lye worked fantastic. Those registers are 50 years old and had been painted so many times it practically blocked air flow. It took about 8 hours and the metal is as bare as the day they left the factory, and all I had to do was rinse away the loose paint. Amazing!

Mike

-- Ed Stewart <edstewart1 at verizon.net> wrote:
I have never tried lye, let me know how it works./*Be careful not to put
anything made from aluminum into lye, it will disappear and create some
deadly gases.. Ed*/

Mike wrote:
> Thanks for the idea, I have them bubbling away in the garage, the latex paint gave up without much of a fight, but the older stuff underneath may take overnight. I'm using lye at about 1 TBS per gallon.
> Best regards,
> Mike
>
> -- Ed Stewart <edstewart1 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi Mike, I had a link bookmarked for this but it is no longer online. I
> setup a fiftyfive gallon plastic barrel(could be a five gallon bucket,
> use on tenth of soda) filled with water that had a box of Arm and Hammer
> washing soda dissolved into it. you insert a piece of sheet metal that
> is the height of the container and reaches about half way round the
> inside. hook the positive cable from a battery charger to the sheet
> metal and the negative to what you want to remove the paint from and
> hang it into the water. Plug the charger in and a few hours later the
> paint will be gone, I use the drum to remove paint from tractor parts,
> it also removes rust.. You put a pan with one gallon of water on the
> stove when your wife isn't lookin and add the washing soda to the hot
> water and stir till water is clear before pouring into the barrel. Ed
>
> Mike wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> This is OT but the input could be used for old tractor parts as well. I'm painting a room in our house, and would like to strip all the paint off the registers (many coats) and repaint them. Is there a solution I can mix up in a 5 gallon pail that will eat off the paint. Any input appreciated.
>>
>> Mike

I use Ubuntu Linux version 7.10 code named:"Gutsy Gibbon" ONLY!