[AT] 1841 Ford tractor with backhoe

Lew Best bee_keeper at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 8 17:22:42 PST 2007

Hey Chuck (or anyone else that may know some answers)

Have run into some "other projects" so this backhoe has been on the back
burner.  Hoping to get it to do "something" this weekend tho; need to
get it outa the shop (or at least moved to another area in the shop).
Got a pump; in the finishing stages of welding up brackets so hopefully
by tomorrow I can pressurize the steering system.

The cables on that steering seem ok; but don't move the lever on the
cylinder enough to make it work it seems.  There appears to be a clutch
(or maybe it's a sheared key or something?) in the steering box.  As
soon as the cables meet with much resistance the steering wheel turns
but nothing else (I'm sure the shaft is turning since the nut that holds
the steering wheel to the shaft turns with the wheel).  Do you feel a
resistance when your steering wheel reaches its R/L extremes?  The Ford
tractor dealer printed me out the parts sheet on the whole steering
system but there's no "exploded view" of the steering gear box as no
parts are available.  Don't think there's anything wrong with the
cables; both push & pull to an extent; just something slipping (but no
chattering sound like a stripped cable pulley which must have some ribs
on it to make the cable push & pull.

Thanks!

Lew