[AT] Farmall MTA Live PTO

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Wed Nov 7 14:17:25 PST 2007

The Live PTO on the Farmall MTA (and I would guess the 300/400 series are
the same as well) has a rear shaft-bearing retainer with oil seal.  This
retainer is held on with three 3/8th inch cap screws and immediately behind
it is a two-inch jam nut.

Question:  Does anyone happen to know for sure which way to turn the nut to
remove it from the PTO shaft?
The shaft, of course, turns CW and intuition seems to be saying left hand
threads here but the prominence of the large locking plate with ears on each
face of the nut is raising doubts in my mind.  Due to the chamfer/recess in
the rear cover plate access to this nut is virtually impossible with a 2"
box-end wrench.  A 2" thin wall socket about 6" deep to fit over the PTO
shaft would work great but I don't have such an animal.  A 2" open wrench,
while giving only a marginal fit (due to the chamfer/recess mentioned above)
may be my only option.  When I start trying to turn I want it to be the
right way.  The guy who worked on this nut before me sure did a whole lot of
chiseling.

Thanks in advance -
Dudley
Snohomish, Washington