[AT] TD6 Trackloader timing problems. Where is TDC

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sun Nov 4 15:39:25 PST 2007

I'm trying to resuscitate the gasoline starting system of my diesel IH
TD6(which never worked, it just started on diesel directly) and have a
bit of a problem.   I pulled the distributor to clean and do a tune up,
and then went to install.   Hmmmm.   No TDC mark on the crankshaft
pulley.  The Drott loader system mounts a hydraulic pump from the
crankshaft pulley and apparently the crankshaft pulley is part of that
system and isn't marked.

So I opened the valve cover, and found TDC by monitoring the valves and
spark plug hole.  After this, I found the distributor lugs oriented as I
expected.  Setting the timing statically went as I expected too.  So I
thought I was ready - but it doesn't start.   I get spark at the hole
but I don't get a puff or a pop; even with starting fluid (WD40).  I
think my timing is still off, but I can't think how since being off a
whole phase would create noise in the exhaust (or fire in the carb O-:
).  Being off less would just result in failure to start, but it would
still try give me noise.

So I guess my question is:  With a typical 180 degree crank (when 1&4
are at TDC, 2&3 are at BDC), how would you find TDC without marks???

PS:  Not a flat head - Can't use the straw in the spark plug hole trick.
PSS:   Because the gas-over-diesel design, removing the cylinder head is
a pain and is not an option.

Thanks an advance!

Spencer Yost