[AT] Combine Canvases; Etc.

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Wed May 23 15:58:32 PDT 2007

Ralph
I remember those straps and buckles, three of them each 2" wide.  The one
canvas was approx 40" long (12' width of swath and 8' from cutting platform
to start of threshing chamber, then doubled back).    The other canvas was
approx 14' (it was approx 10" above the 8' section, contained the cut wheat
from blowing away as it approached the threshing chamber).  And as you
mentioned, Dad unstrapped both canvases at the end of each threshing day.
They were stored special so mice could not get into them.  Our combine was
a 12' Case, very similar to the one at Pawnee, OK. (just north of the
permanent ramp the steam engine climbs each day).
Herb