[AT] Fwd: Want cheaper gas to keep the old iron running? Review of prices of other items.

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun May 20 14:24:18 PDT 2007

I really would like to find a rational reason why the chrysler turbines
were not produced.  I have looked at the site
www.fuelefficientvehicles.org  and remember the chrysler turbine car
that was in Oklahoma City.  The only real complaint that anyone had was
that it had a high pitched whine..  I would think that air cleaner
problems could be resolved.  The gear reduction problems could be
resolved.  If there was a problem with the engine not running at full
load, then that could also be resolved.

My gripe is that now that I have retired and have time to fix, rebuild,
repair, use, and maybe show the 20 or so old tractors that I have
collected over the years, I don't have enough money to pay for the gas
or diesel to run them or even pull a trailer to go get  one for
parts.    The sheep flock that I nurtured over the past 8 years to use
as a supplement to my retirement now bring little more at the sale than
the fuel to get them there.  I don't blame any one party for the mess we
are in right now, I only blame the leadership.   By leadership, I mean
both private and government sectors.  Oil companies are making record
profits, gasoline and diesel fuel is at an all time high.  I remember
the 70's, gas in Okla was about  70 cents, we had price controls and we
had gas lines.  Now we only have a shortage of cheap gas.  There are no
lines waiting to buy gas.
But again, I point the accusing finger at the leadership.  The oil
company executives are getting exorbitant salaries.  Look at the CEO of
large corporations, the ones that are going bankrupt are getting million
dollar bonuses and stock options for leaving a company bankrupt!!!!!!!!  I
 grew up where if you did not work you did not stay!!!

If you want to compare prices
in 1970-1972
gas was $0.30
Cattle were $.30/lb
wheat was $2.68/bushel
new pickup was $2500.00
I made $5.00/hr working at the tractor shop.
An average new house in OKC was about $35,000
Doctor Office call was $20.00
McDonald's burger was $0.29
Road tax on diesel was $0.17
36HP  MF Diesel tractor $4000
loaf of Bread $0.29

NOW               INCREASE
gas is $3.40        (11.3 X)
cattle are $1.10/lb   (3.6 X)
wheat is $4.62     (2.2 X)
new pickup is $22,000   (9 X)
I just retired from a govt job at $25/hr    (5 X)
A starter house in OKC is $90,000  (2.4 X)
Doctor office Call is $100     (5 X)
McDonald's Burger is $1.00   (3.3  X)
Road Tax on Diesel is $0.385  (2.3 X)
40HP diesel MF tractor  $15,000  ( 3.75 X)
loaf of Bread  $1.49   (5 X)

I cannot buy the line that gasoline is only in keeping with inflation.
The 2 items that stand out in inflated prices is fuel and vehicles. Fuel
prices in the US drive inflation.  We have not begun to really feel the
effect high fuel prices are going to cause in the next year.

I only wish I could find my old Agriculture Economics professor who told
me in 1973 that small tractors would be a premium in 20 years.
Just my $.02
Cecil in OKla