[AT] Fwd: Want cheaper gas to keep the old iron running? Sorry, I forgot...

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Sat May 19 13:14:15 PDT 2007

That won't compute everywhere.  My business has lost money 4 out of the
last 5 years.  Someone should be paying me to use gas at that rate.
Also I have taken jobs to get me by and the wages are about 7 times what
I made in 1964.  I paid not over 30 cents for Ethyl then and so I should
be at $2.10 now according to your calculations.  I must have been making
too much money in '64.  The tankwagon I delivered fuel in then probably
cost the company not over $7000 new and more than likely $5000.  They
are closer to $100,000 now, so your calulations work for the cost of
equipment.  Highway Diesel fuel was about 18-20 cents in '64 and now it
is $3.50.  Not far from a 20 fold increase.  Whew!  I gotta stop thinking.

My spray plane burns gas at 35 gallons per hour.  In '64 it cost 40
cents.  Now it is approaching 5 bucks per gal.  Of course I am old
enough that I should no longer be doing that stuff, but the fact is,
fuel costs are a major issue for all businesses and some have no way to
pass it on.  Danged hard to stay on top of.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA