[AT] Gas turbines in tractors

Gilbert Schwartz gschwartz1 at mchsi.com
Sat May 19 08:46:54 PDT 2007

Allis Chalmers tried a Boeing turbine engine in a HD-21 size crawler tractor
in the early fifties, called it the P-91. After much experimentation the
thing was cancelled. It was fast, thirsty, and noisy, and finally blew up in
operation. Imagine the transmission needed to reduce 20,000 plus rpm's to
something useable at the ground, and the air filtration needed for dozer
operation at ground level. Problems would/could be insurmountable, they were
with
Allis,
and apparently everyone else.