[AT] Welding Grousers...?

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue May 15 05:32:01 PDT 2007

I repaired an old D6 about 20 years ago with 1/2 inch square bar.  I
used whatever rod I had around, the bigger the better!  My welder was a
Libby 300 amp with a 6cyl chrysler.  I remember using some rods that I
had bought at a sale.  They were sorta old, bad, and had been wet, but
they burned.  Some were 1/4 inch!  It took about 3 evenings and It is
still working.  We put a track chain on one side, and I still have the
other track chain, but not installed.  To remove the plates from a
chain, chain off the machine.  Hit the nuts about 5 seconds with a round
shank bit in a air hammer, hit the bolt head with a 3 lb sledge hammer
about 4 times, take the bolt off with an impact wrench.  Dip the bolt in
used motor oil before putting it back in...

Cecil in OKla