[AT] Welding Grousers...?

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Tue May 15 05:22:45 PDT 2007

Mike thanks for the very good explanation of the re-grouser process. Also
good to hear from you.

H. L.

On 5/15/2007 1:53:32 AM, Mike Reggie (mrreg_99 at hotmail.com) wrote: > Hey
Richard, I'm here, Yes, I've welded quite a few grousers, and I too > would
suggest staying within the size and style parameters of what is > called >
out by the manufacturer. Don't forget, if the grousers are worn enough to >
need replacement, the shoes have also been thinning especially at the edges.
> As someone has mentioned, make sure the shoes are tight to the chain, if
the > shoe is loose and a new grouser is installed it will worsen that
problem, > and once the shoe gets loose enough to allow dirt in between the
holes and > bolts and the holes elongate, the damage is done and you will
not be able to > get the shoe tight on the chain, etc., etc.... As has been
suggested, use > the proper shoe bolts to attach the shoes to the chain,
they really really > are made for this specific purpose, and even though we
may be personally > convinced the hardware store or even the supply house
grade 8 bolt will do > the job just fine, it will begin to "yield" in a very
short time. Also the > whole rebar idea is not a good one, it will wear away
in no time. Though I > would not do it ever again, not too many years ago I
was convinced by a > customer to re-grouser his old Deere track loader that
he was using for a > skidder and he insisted I use the rebar he had . Well,
against my better > judgment, I did as told, and welded the rebar on the
shoes, and I remember > it actually wore almost to nothing in weeks! No
kidding.
H. L. Staples
McLoud, Oklahoma
USA