[AT] AT Digest, Vol 39, Issue 6 cylinder Chevrolet

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon May 7 18:07:53 PDT 2007

I remember the article, Claude, but I remember them running clockwise on a
closed track that was something like 39 miles in length.  It was a bunch of
country roads, all paved, and ran up and down hill.  There were specific
periods where the car was coasting downhill with the engine off, specified
speeds and gearing to be used on different sections of the track, right
turns coasting around stop signs, tires were milled to narrow the contact
area with the pavement, high pressure in the tires, a measured volume of
gasoline in a glass tank suspended above the passenger seat, etc.  It was a
standard vehicle in the same way that the ones used in stock car racing are
standard vehicles.  They lightened it by taking off all the extras.  It was
a coupe, but I don't remember whether it originally seated two or four.  It
was a 30's vintage car (not new) and in those days it was common to take the
back seat out for extra cargo capacity, etc.

Larry