[AT] Rust magic?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun May 6 06:21:50 PDT 2007

When I worked for a New Holland dealership, they had some stuff that the
mechanics used that has never failed me yet. They didn't keep it out on
the shelves, and it didn't have any brand name, just "penetrating fluid"
in English and French in an aerosol can - you had to ask the parts
counterman for it. It foams when it hits the rust and really does
penetrate amazingly well. In my experience with a fair amount of rusty
Stuff, the only thing that comes close is Kroil, and all the rest of the
magic potions come after that. But for those heavy tracks, you might
want to apply some heat as well, not enough to melt anything or ruin any
heat treatment, but enough to get the parts to expand and contract and
break the "weld" formed by the rust.

Mike