[Steam-engine] re shows

travis brown tbkeck at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 10:35:39 PDT 2007

Regarding the question about having a steel wheel only show, while it would be a very interesting concept, I would have to question if it would work.  While I many agree that too many of the shows have an over abundance of rubber tired tractors, esp some that farmers I know would be proud to be farming with today, the ugly truth is that many shows are dependent on the people who bring such equipment and people who want to see that sort of equipment.

  For many it is a generational thing, they look with fondness at the equipment they grew up working with or around.  This is kind of why the muscle cars became so popular, they are the cars that many guys wanted to have when they were young, but could not afford.

  While it is true that some shows are suffering from a dwindling number of steam engines at their shows, others are holding steady or even flourishing.  The National Threshers Association in Ohio had 62 steam engines at their show last year.  Some shows are suffering from a lack of engines in their area, while others do not have management that cares as much about having a steam engine there as it might have in years past.  Obviously a show that has 62 engines show up is making an effort to ensure that the engines are welcomed.