[AT] think I' stick with red ones now rambling

Paul pwaugh at mchsi.com
Thu Mar 29 09:13:05 PDT 2007

Ceil
Thanks for rambling, I enjoyed it
Paul Waugh

-----Original Message-----
From: at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
[mailto:at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com] On Behalf Of Cecil Bearden
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:28 AM
To: Antique tractor email discussion group
Subject: Re: [AT] think I' stick with red ones

I can't imagine how I would explain that purchase to my wife!  I also
could not imagine having that much money to spend on a tractor to sit in
the barn!

In my opinion this tractor is Deere's answer to the Ford and Ferguson
tractors with 3 point.  I used almost every kind of tractor in the 60's
and I have to say that no one could come close to the draft control that
Massey Ferguson had on their 35, thru 85 tractors.  We had a 35 then
traded it for a diesel 50 then sold it and bought 2 85 series tractors.
One was diesel and one was propane.  I sure miss that propane tractor.
We would have to pull it during cold weather to start it, but then we
always had to pull the diesel to start it the first time of the day.
Batteries are sure better now.  We then sold that one and got a G 1000
Moline.  It used about 100 gallons of propane a day when really
pulling.  We spent about $1500 on engine parts.  and another $1500 on
the 2 speed.  It had a 3 point hydraulic lift that would pick up almost
anything.  I used it loading hay in the field with a trailer that we
carried on the 3 point at one end and the wheels were at the other.
That lift would lift the front end off the ground it had so much power.
The tractor had a 5 speed transmission, but 2 gears would jump out.  We
never fixed that problem, as we were just sick of having to work on it.
We bought it on the side of the road as the owner was driving it about
14 miles to a sale, when the engine quit.  We drug it home with a tire
chain for a tow chain.  It took us 3 days to assemble the engine after
we got the machine work done.  Then waited 2 weeks for the "dealer" in
ElReno to get the 2 speed fixed.  He had forfeited his dealer ship on
Moline about 2 years before, but still appeared to be a dealer.  He
bought all his parts at retail from another dealer then marked them up
about 40%....  The guy was a real piece of work....  Rott Equipment.
When we got it together, we had to fix a problem in one of the final
drives.  The real problem with a Moline was whenever you had to remove a
housing, you had bolts from all directions.  You usually had to remove
aboupt 4 times more parts to get to the one you needed.  There always
was a hidden bolt.  They were built tough, but a pain to work on.  The
G1000 we had should have been salvaged.  It was just abused beyond
belief before we got it...

I am retired now, but I would not take on a project like that one.
However, I was 20 years old, single and had a lot of energy and thought
there was a future in farming.

I sold 44 of my Blackbelly sheep lambs yesterday. I got top price for
them.  However after the sale barn took out 25% for commissions etc..  I
did not break even on the feed.

Just a ramble this morning over coffee.

Cecil in OKla