[AT] Fw: bad condensor?

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Mar 27 20:07:10 PDT 2007

John Hall wrote:
> Runs too good to be a loose carb. Likewise I doubt the muffler is stopped
> up, it has plenty of power for about 2 minutes. Saturday I was in my sixth
> cut through a 10" log before it started breaking down. I'm going to try to
> switch coils this weekend and see what happens.
>
> As for stopped up mufflers, seen it several times. The IH dealer dad worked
> for sold Echo also. couldn't tell you how many 2 minute repairs they made by
> removing the spark arrestor screen.
> And then there were the 3 different occasions that dirt dobbers built a nest
> in the muffler.
>
> John

Missed the start of this but two ways to find a bad condenser are
1 Start the engine in a dark area and watch the points for arcing, it
will look like a small welder giving off a yellowish spark.
2. Look at the point contacts for pitting. A good condenser will not pit
the faces. An open condenser will pit the crap out of the points. A
shorted one will cause the engine to miss.

Bad coil will shut down when it gets hot and can start working when it
cools off. Easy tests for a coil you can get to. Start engine and run
until the engine shuts down. Wrap an ice pack around the coil for a
couple minutes and see if it will start. If it fire up faster than not
cooling the coil you found the problem. Another quicker way is to use a
can of component freezer and cool the coil at the point that the engine
starts to die. If it stays running you found it. (oh and if you cannot
find component cooler you can use a couple items. One is a CO2
Extinguisher NOT a dry chemical. the other is a can of R134A)

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York