[AT] sod breaking picture

captneb captneb at agristar.net
Mon Mar 26 12:07:30 PDT 2007

Sod was a standard here.  I wrote a book 40 years ago called SOD WALLS
detailing their construction.  A special plow called a rod plow or
grasshopper plow was used to shave a six-inch ribbon off the ground and roll
it gently over so it could be cut with a spade into "bricks."  There are
still a few soddies standing...back when I researched the books there were
quite a few and I could still find homesteaders who could talk with me about
how they went about it.  Some fine houses were built of sod.  And some
pretty shaggy ones!

http://www.nebraskastudies.org/0500/frameset_reset.html?http://www.nebraskastudies.org/0500/stories/0501_0108.html