[AT] Case 400 Diesel

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 17:03:09 PDT 2007

On 3/25/07, Gene Dotson <gdotsly at watchtv.net> wrote:
>     Ken;
>     The first stage filter element is Case #A10557, Second stage is A7627
> and the final stage filter is09985ab1. The final stage is a sealed assembly
> and replaced as a unit. NAPA can cross these to Wix numbers. They are still
> available. The final filter may be a dealer only item.

The final filter looked like some sort of aftermarket add-on on this
one; it is mounted above the water pump (which started leaking too)
and the brackets did not look like they were factory when I first
glanced at them. I will take another look. I'm not sure where the
local dealer for Case Ag is in this area (probably 100 miles away or
better). Plenty of construction stuff around though. Good to know NAPA
can cross them; they were going to be my first stop when I got the
numbers.

>     The fuel pump is an American Bosch. The pumps for early 700 and 800
> tractors will fit. 700 and 800 have higher governor speeds. All tractors
> went to inline Bosch pumps in 1959. Watch ebay if you need to replace it.

Is there any calibration for fuel flow or is this in the injectors
themselves? I can see where staying with the factory RPM is desireable
but I would expect a governor to be somewhat adjustable and something
I should be able to figure out.

>     The injectors are relatively easy to clean and the tips can be removed
> and cleaned in gun cleaner or MEK. Spray tips are the same as used on all
> power cell engines and are the same on Allis Chalmers and Minneapolis
> tractors of the period. The copper gaskets can be reused by annealing them
> by heating to a dull red and quenching in water, this will soften them so
> they will reseal.

Interesting to note. I know Dad has at least one G705 Minneapolis
sitting apart in an old shed (been there 20+ years) so I might have to
tap his shoulder about getting parts if I cannot get these to clean
up.

>     The tractor is definitely worth saving. They are very tough and
> reliable. Brings me back to the question of why it was parked for so long,
> and now we know.
>
>                     Gene

Why it was sitting so long had me worried too... didn't know if the
rear end was wrecked or not but this looks like the kill shot. Half
the battle is knowing the problem, and I hope this is it. Sure,
there's a leaking axle seal and one of the brakes has been taken apart
and the steering is really loose but those don't scare me.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Ken