[AT] test?

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 14:13:04 PDT 2007

Just a test. I sent a message yesterday that had tractor content and
it somehow didn't make it to the list. Or if it did, it didn't make it
back to me. Here it is again. Hopefully I get it right this time.

Ken

-------------

I had a chance to spin some wrenches on the tractor I brought home
from Yuma today. I took Gene's advice and pulled the compression
release, pulled the valve covers and checked to make sure everything
looked right. I squirted some oil in the cylinders and looked
everything over good. (Thanks, Gene!)
  Then I took a wrench and put it on the nut on the end of the
crankshaft and gave it a spin. It resisted ever so slightly then spun
freely. Feeling better about my "treasure" I put a battery on it and
gave it a spin with the starter, which worked fine. My neighbor
dropped over and I asked him to watch the oil pressure and make sure
it came up when I hit the starter. It hit 25 PSI and climbing, just
with the starter and no compression.

Then I decided to open the fuel filters up and figure out what the
part numbers were on the filters so I could replace them and maybe try
starting it... (guess I was feeling too good about myself)

Someone had put water in the fuel system, and it has sat that way for
a long time. That's the only explanation for it as 2 filters have been
removed, a third has been added (between the transfer pump and the
main pump) and they all had large amounts of rust in them. There was
still water in 2 of the filter housings. The fuel tank had some rust
in it but I hadn't even considered it possible that someone might have
done this deliberately. It certainly looks like it was sabotaged and
left to sit. The 2 factory-looking purolator filter housings had the
filters removed from them so I don't have a clue on the part numbers;
the third filter looks like a farmer add-on. All had rust in them and
the line going directly into the main pump has rust in it too.

Sooo..... this might be more of a project than I am ready for. I
suspect that the American Bosch injection pump is at least damaged,
possibly destroyed by this kind of treatment. I've never had an
injection system apart as Dad always indicated they are rather
sensitive and are best left to the professionals (he doesn't take them
apart and it's about the ONLY thing he doesn't know how to tear down
and rebuild).

>From what I have been able to find, this tractor was parked for
probably at least 10 years in the Arizona desert. I think it is
because someone put water in the tank and it got run 'til it quit.
That's probably what caused it to be sitting in the back of the parts
lot.

What does a rebuilt pump cost for something like this? Assuming it got
water into the injection lines, would I be better off just scrapping
the tractor out? I hate to do it.

Any thoughts? Comments? Direction?

Ken in AZ