[AT] OT HP printer supplies ripoff

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 09:18:15 PDT 2007

The biggest part of the profits on computer peripherals is in the
consumables. Look long and hard at replacement parts (cartridges, etc)
when buying a printer. We just did this on my small business office
printer. Pick some number of pages (say 10,000 pages or something) and
start looking at how many pages the cartridges are rated for and add
them up until you get the cost of operating the unit.

Also, power is a big deal too but it's harder to calculate (or has
been). We ended up just buying another printer cartridge for our
"all-in-one" scanner/fax/laser printer (Dell) when we looked at the
cost versus getting a dedicated laser printer. We saved on the space,
heat load (a concern in AZ) and initial investment.

I've also consolidated several computers onto one with this latest
system. I have a linux system that I use as my
desktop/browsing/fileserver system on the network and I have several
windows boxes for different tasks (quickbooks and other MS-specific
programs). I was able to clone them onto the new box and run them in a
window with VMware. By doing so I've removed one box so far and expect
to remove at least one, possibly 2 more computers from my network. I
also removed a couple of large CRT monitors and replaced with new flat
monitors and saved a bunch of energy and space from that as well.

Since I normally run old (Pentium 800's or thereabouts) cast off
equipment, this new system (dual core 2 gig with lots of memory) just
chews right through my applications. Even the PC in a window is many
times faster than the old box it replaced, and basically all it cost
was the added memory, which I can use on several different programs
now.

The main goal was to reduce the heat load in my office. Turns out some
of the new equipment is a lot more efficient than I thought, and a LOT
quieter. Some of the new power savings initiatives are showing major
improvements.

Not a problem if you need the heat, but here we need things to run cool.

sorry for the ramble.

Ken in AZ