[AT] Harvest photo, now combine makes

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Thu Mar 22 03:39:57 PDT 2007

    Herb;
    I thought it was ironic too. I thought I would like to have the 42 after
I bought my farm, but the collectors were there. The combine sold for
$950.00. The other combines were a New Holland 975 (rough) a Case 900 (stuck
engine) and a Massey Ferguson 300 (working, used that fall). The 42 was
usually a 9 foot cut. It was the pull type version of the 40 self propelled
combine.
    The John Deere was a right hand cut. As a youngster I remember riding on
the axle housing of my brother-in-law's Farmall BN bulling an IH #42
combine. It had right hand 42 inch cut. My dad had a very early Allis
Chalmers pull type (pre Gleaner) and pulled with our Farmall H. It had a
left hand 5 foot cut, so had to do a little planning when using both
combines in the same field.
    Allis Chalmers/Gleaner changed the direction of cut a couple of times in
the very early years.
    I think most of the later combines all settled on the right hand cut for
standardization. All of the small John Deere pull types( 12, 12A 30)  had
right hand cut. Dad bought a new 12A in about 1951 and used it till he
retired in 1969.

                        Gene