[Farmall] Super C Transmission work

Stan Bass headlight at erols.com
Mon Mar 5 20:21:03 PST 2007

Todd,
your reasoning made sense so I looked but found that the differential
pinion is on the bottom shaft (the countershaft) which runs in fluid all
the time? Checked the book for procedure getting to both shafts, and
something jumped out at me. It mentioned needing to remove a rivet
holding the reverse spline gear on the upper shaft (spline shaft) before
you could remove the shaft. That reminded me about seeing a small (maybe
1/4 x 1") metal dowel sitting up on the ledge of the case caught in some
grease when I removed the case cover, and later when I drained the case
I found another small section with a head lying in the bottom but didn't
know what it was from or how it got there. I looked again at the spline
shaft and notice that the reverse gear does have a hole the size of the
rivet! I noticed that it was able to slide on the shaft before but
didn't think anything of it sense the shaft also had 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th
sliding gears on it. When checking 1st gear on the countershaft now I
see that it is chewed up on both sides rather than just from the front
where the slider comes in. The back side has been chewed up by the
reverse gear hitting it as well, and that is on the side of the rear
bearing on the countershaft, so it's feasible that those chips were
getting in that bearing. Looks like the only way I will know for sure is
to pull it all the way down :(  I was hoping for a little less
involved... Guess I need to start looking for a 'round to-it'. Should
probably think seriously about just buying a whole replacement tranny...
Thanks for all the commiserating,
Stan(VA).