[AT] Found out how to buy an Antique AC 'C' tractor

David Holcombe Dlholcombe at una.edu
Mon Mar 5 20:40:23 PST 2007

There is an annual Farm equipment auction in Savannah Tn on the 1st Saturday
in March.
I've been attending it for over 25 years. Always buying some small things
like plows,
hay equipment, and some junk. I even bought a MF 1135 once and got to
thinking I
didn't need it and sold it without ever driving it.
It is usually a 4-some, my dad, 2 sons and myself. Over the years I've let
quite a few things
go and after they were sold would usually tell my sons 'that was a pretty
good deal I probably
should have bid on that'. It just drives my son's nuts when I say that, they
are always saying it's too
late for that kind of talk now.
For the last 2 years my youngest son has had baseball games on sale day and
I've missed them both
to watch him play. Last year I stayed on the cell phone half the day of the
game talking to my oldest
son about what was at the sale and what my father had bought. He bought a
hay tedder.
This year was no different.
I grow quite a few flowers and sell them to the local florist and have kinda
been looking around for
a tricycle front AC or Farmall with a good belly mount cultivator for
plowing them.
My son calls me as soon as they arrive at the sale and tells me there is an
AC 'C' with a good cultivator
on it. Of  course I say will it crank, he says 'it's running as we speak'.
We played phone tag for the next 2
hours, he  called me after he found the owner, and of course the owner said
everything worked except
the lights. I finally told him to go as high as $1500. He called me back in
about and hour and  told me he
bought it for $800.  The owner was right, so far everything works except the
lights.
It is a '46 model according to the serial number. It must have come from
west of the Mississippi,
it does not have any rust at all on it. It needs a gas tank cleaning and a
front seal and all the fluids changed.
After I do a little sand blasting I think some new Persian Orange will look
good on it.
My dad owned one just like it in the 50's. I'm more of a tractor driver than
a mechanic and my dad
is already saying we can fix the front seal, put new brakes on it, clean the
carb. I guess with a little
guidance from someone who's already experienced it once, I can learn it too.
My son's want it
to look like new and the youngest wants to take it to a show, I want to
clean it up an plow with it.

Sorry for the ramble, but it's kinda fun when your dad(74) oldest son(22)
youngest son(16) me(49)
have something in common like tractors.

Question?

This tractor is a 'FUEL' burner. It started on gas then you switch it to
'fuel' (kerosene). the fuel line
has been removed from the start tank. Do I need to buy kerosene and mix with
gas or can I just
run straight gas?

David Holcombe in extreme NW AL