[AT] OT: But bear with me..................

The MAd Scots Farmer skoullar at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 4 16:40:51 PST 2007

(Since the list spam trap zapped this the first time, second try)

This is something I came across this, and I think
  it would be helpful..........

  Tuesday, October 10, 2006

  What not to say to a soldier and how to help them
  adjust
  Current mood: stressed
  Category: Life

  I just recently met with Congressman Boswell on a
  bill being introduced to the house for suicide
  prevention for combat veterans. As I discussed
  Jason's story I realized that the general public
  does not understand the mental war a soldier
  fights once returning home, so I have decided to
  post some things here that Jason had discussed
  with me and other soldiers I have spoke to.

  1. Please do not ask "did you shoot anybody?" This
  is not a question that is easily answered. If they
  were involved in firefights, some will have
  horrible images left of the dead, if they were not
  involved in firefights, they feel you will
  instantly label them as weak.

  2. Most do not feel like heros once returning home
  and have a hard time with all the "thank yous" and
  hero fanfare. Jason did not feel like a hero. As
  one soldier put it, I am a hero to my wife, but as
  soon as I tell her about the dead women and
  children then I will instantly go from hero to
  monster. I will never be able to tell her anything.

  3. Instead of thank you offer a "Welcome Home".
  When Jason got off the plane in DSM a woman saw
  him in his uniform and asked if she could give him
  a hug and kept saying thank you to him. He was a
  little confused but gave her a hug. He had no idea
  what the thank yous were for. He was in Iraq only
  to keep himself and comrades alive, nothing else.

  4. The body never lies. Jason had a hard time
  adjusting to the fact that a M-16 was no longer
  attached to his side. He kept brushing his hip
  looking for it. It will take awhile to adjust to
  their protective equipment being removed. Loud
  noises will cause reactions, fire crackers sound
  like small arms fire, which in Jason case caused
  him to automatically go into low army crawl into
  the garage and take cover and position himself to
  aim back at the enemy. Please be sensitive to
  these things. Do not make them feel stupid or
  crazy, just let them know they are safe and you
  understand why they reacted this way.

  5. Some will never talk! This is essential to
  healing the mental wounds. Fine a quiet space and
  tell them that you truly want to help and as hard
  as it may be to hear their story. Do not tell them
  to put it away or forget about it. When Jason
  finally did speak about the things he saw and did
  he was crying out for his chaplin. A neutral party
  that understood where he had been. Most will not
  go to the VA hospitals, but Vet Centers are
  located in most major cities that offer support
  groups and is conducted by combat veterans. They
  know more than anybody. Please locate these
  centers in your area.

  6. Flash-backs do happen and leave the soldier
  confused afterwards. Just try to help them back to
  present time and again do not make them feel crazy.

  7. Survivor guilt - Jason questioned why he had
  not died, but yet soldiers standing to the left
  and right of him had. This is normal in any
  traumatic situation that leaves survivors. Again
  vet centers are available to help talk through
  these feelings.

  8. Do not discuss whether you argree or disagree
  with this war unless the soldier had made his
  statement first. Please remember, most of the
  soldiers fighting this war are Reserves and
  National Guard, this was suppose to be a weekend
  job...., so they were just as confused when they
  were called to duty. But the reason they go may
  not necessarily be because they agree with the
  president, it's because their battle buddies need
  them to be there to help keep them alive.

  9. Most soldiers will have a hard time admitting
  that they are experiencing PTSD. It starts in boot
  camp, they are taught to be tough physically and
  mentally, this a hard mind-set to break. If we
  keep PTSD in the news and on the minds of
  Americans, it should be common knowledge that no
  one comes home from a war unwounded. Adjustment
  and counseling should be mandatory to be
  reintegrated back into their civilian lives.

  10. Please do all you can to bring awareness to
  this disease which as been around since every war.
  Soldiers need our help, and yes it is true that
  some of their rights are taken away once joining
  the military and free speech is one of them. They
  rely upon you and me, the ones they are willing to
  die for, to stand up for them and fight for their
  rights.

  In memory of Spc. Jason Cooper 4/16/82 - 7/14/05
  and the 88 Iraq veterans who took their lives
  after returning home in 2005.

  www.jason-cooper.memory-of.com

  One proud Mom,
  Terri Jones