[AT] Dairy farming. Dying industry?

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Sun Mar 4 08:38:45 PST 2007

George, (and replying to Danny's later comment) I would have a different
take on the situation. The Dairy Industry (notice the capitals) is not yet
dying in this country if it is defined as the production of fluid milk by
large Corporately owned dairies. The average size of a dairy built in
California and Arizona in the last ten years is now about 10,000 cows
milked. This is as compared to the average size of dairies in California 30
years ago of about 300 cows. The dairies that are shutting down are of many
size ranges here, but the common factor is that they are not willing or able
to continue producing milk at a loss not a profit.
    In the first go around on this topic, the statement was made that the
price of milk is tied to the price of cheese by federal law. This is true
and is a major factor in the decrease in milk prices. Unlike the three
previous periods of losses in the dairy industry in the last 30 years, this
time the milk prices went down at the same time feed prices, energy and
labor all increased in cost. Previously, there were oversupplies driven
largely by domestic production or droughts etc. that increased feed prices.
This time, depending on the authority, there is either not a domestic
oversupply of fluid milk or the oversupply is very small and is driven by
changes in milk processing and sourcing. That is a complicated way of saying
that there is not excess domestic production, but there is a dramatic
increase in imports. Are these imports subsidized? Basically yes. The
discussion on how even the Argentine imports are subsidized coming here is
outside the scope of this email and is very long and complex so I won't
elaborate right now.
        Now, here is the obvious question.... If all or nearly all dairies
are sustaining losses from milk production in the US right now, why would
there be further huge dairies in the planning???? Several reasons. First,
some large dairy operations are counting on the smaller, less well funded
operations going out of business quickly enough that the prices will
increase soon. Second, the large dairy operations being developed are nearly
all being developed with money from selling other operations and they do not
wish to pay capital gains taxes on the properties they sold (this is the
case in the movement of dairies from Chino Valley and other near Los Angeles
locations to California's Cental Valley, Arizona and New Mexico.) Third, the
operations not being funded by reason number two are being funded by
Europeans who have extra cash and see the day coming when milk prices will
increase back to profits due to lowered subsidies for the products imported
to the US. Fourth, a very large dairy in most areas is not going to have to
cover the full community costs of the pollution and other impacts they
create, so they have a hidden subsidy there. Fifth, the US tax code and Farm
Bill favors "Corporate Farms" in a variety of ways that make it easier to
ride out a prolonged slump in milk prices at this time.
    The flip side of this change in the industry, is that IF these corporate
players bet wrong, they will not reap profits soon enough to have both
reduced the competition from the smaller dairies and also survive. In either
case the US taxpayers will have subsidized the transition to larger,
inherently more pollution creating dairies and will then have fewer families
farming and living in the truly rural parts of the country, leading to even
less community in the rural areas.
    So here is the question for the list and really the country - should we
subsidize this transition and pushing the smaller farmers out of business or
not? And if not, how do we change to rules to level the field for the
smaller farmers like those who bought nearly all of the tractors this list
likes to restore/use....
    Note none of what I have said is political, it is explanatory and asking
what do we as Americans (or in Ralph and others cases, as residents of their
countries) want to have our world look like? I wish I could influence things
more (especially since I am a full time farmer, but I cannot do much on the
subject other than educate.
    Also, please note I am a Vegetable farmer not a dairyman, so I am not
going to directly benefit from higher farmgate milk prices.
        Grant Brians
        Hollister, California