[Farmall] Two Cubs (that were) for sale

Stan Bass headlight at erols.com
Wed Jun 27 20:21:36 PDT 2007

Mike, Thanks for posting the ad, I bought the two Cubs!

The guy was straight forward, everything seems to be as stated. He's
moving and just needed to clear things out with minimal effort. I'm not
a Cub expert, but here are my initial observations.

--First tractor '48 (by casting codes, had a SN plate but didn't look it
up), a mag converted to points and external coil, has hydraulics and
electric start, oil and antifreeze seem OK, has some lift parts front
and back connected to the rockshaft arm (one of those parts cracked and
welded), rear tires excellent tread but probably 10-15 yrs old with some
weather checking, rear rims rough, wiring and fuel line need attention,
decent paint, a little rougher condition than the second but not bad
overall.

--Second tractor '51 (by codes, no SN plate) original battery ignition,
hydraulics, electric start, rear cultivators and most support arms for
the front but no feet (probably not proper terminology?), cultivator
parts all painted implement blue, oil and antifreeze look OK, very clean
wiring job, rear tires old and thin with boots, rear rims OK, good
paint, other than rear tires a very nice tractor.

Gut feeling is that with some carb and points cleaning, fresh gas and
battery I could get them to fire up.

Far as the Tractor Hunting Trip log; it was about 150-175 miles each
way, yesterday afternoon was a massive rush to pull together everything
needed to haul them (ramps back on the trailer, find the winch parts,
charge a winch battery, tool box, trailer spare, straps, chains,
binders...), coaxed 2nd daughter into riding shotgun and reading maps
(my son is an old hand at this but he's away at camp), about 3-1/2 hrs
down (including some rush hr stuff) and about 5 hrs home (incl dinner at
11:30 and a 1/2 hr 'unplanned' detour... AKA wrong turn ;) ;)  ).

I definitely don't recommend hauling two Cubs on a 16ft Hudson Bros
trailer! For some reason they set the axles almost in the center so the
2nd tractor is back of the axles. I measured tongue height expecting
trouble and it was actually 1/2" higher with both tractors on board. I
removed the cultivators and the rear weights from the back tractor.
Setting that stuff on the front of the trailer helped but still required
a slow careful haul and a constant hand ready at the trailer brakes to
avoid fishtail. Also my first tractor haul after switching out a 1/2 ton
PU for a 3/4 ton Suburban which helped in the stability as well. We got
home about 2 AM and I still haven't found time to unload yet. My Super C
is stripped down to the tranny which I need to finish pulling apart to
repair gear/bearing issues then finish building another motor before I
move on to more projects.

Now if I could just find that bag of round-toits. Don't think I've seen
one in years ;)
Stan(VA).