[AT] Truck hitch questions

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sun Jun 24 15:20:02 PDT 2007

    When you get it cleaned and working give it a light spray coating of
graphite paint like "Slip-Plate". As the paint wears it will also dry lube
the receiver.

    I was coming back through Cleveland OH a few weeks ago and we came up
behind a full sized SUV that had a hitch with a bit of rust. Well, no, the
rust had all fallen off...   :-)   It had a frame mounting plate extending
down from each side. The receiver and the entire cross bar except for a few
remaining bits that looked like lace curtains still attached to each side
plate was completely gone. We were wondering if it fell off empty or if they
had been pulling a load when it gave out. I also wondered if it had looked
solid and rusted out from the inside or if it looked weak and just was never
used after it became weak. It makes you want to go tap firmly with a pointed
welding slag chipping hammer to check for internal hidden rusted weak spots
on hitches in use.

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson