[AT] Wanted: Small grain drill

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sun Jun 24 11:19:46 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Herbert Metz" <metz-h.b at mindspring.com>
> P.S.  Farmer, what you got sitting over there in the corner!

    Bad timing Herb... I just scrapped out a working 1926 Van-Brunt drill
about 6 weeks ago (I did save the wheels for the yard). I am keeping my John
Deere FBB and I also am keeping a John Deere "pasture drill" (sort of a
no-till drill) to seed hay and horse lots.
    I sold "a lot" of stuff to a young fellow that is scrapping this year
and let him do all of the work. I'm not sure how much he is getting for it
but he has paid me a fair rate for it and is cleaning up a lot of crap at
the same time. I was talking to an old farmer friend last week who told me
that he sold one load of "short steel" last winter for $200 a ton... That
sure changes the picture for collectors... I had tried to sell some of what
I scrapped at Portland swap-meet last year and found little interest in most
of it at almost give-away pricing. It went well as scrap. I sure hate to see
so many tractors being hauled off for scrap. I know of dozens in my
community that have gone that route. A large old tractor salvage yard in
Central Indiana (Everett Bros. Monrovia, IN) sold out completely to scrap
not so long ago (maybe a year or so). I understand that he sold it for $100
a ton for absolutely everything and didn't have to touch a piece of it. Just
guessing I would say maybe 300+ tractors and 30 combines and some misc.
stuff. I suppose some of those old WC's and F-20's are now just highway
guardrail...   :-(

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson