[AJD] Champion Plugs - was Re: JD 70 running rough

Bill Salisbury salisburyw at comcast.net
Fri Jun 22 16:56:57 PDT 2007

Oh yes, Champion plugs.  For years I have been experiencing some troubles with 18 mm Champion plugs, as they apply to antique outboard engines.  The most popular is the Champion D-9.  I have had new ones right out of the box that will not fire.  As I have run my supply down to nothing, I have been replacing them with NGK AB-6 and those seem to run flawlessly.

I also have an aircraft with a Jacobs radial engine in it and have had only one problem with the Champion plugs in that engine.  I believe that the quality control of the aircraft plugs is a bit better than the inexpensive $2 plugs that you can buy for the tractors.  Just the same, the next time I change any plugs in that engine, I will most likely install Auburn plugs (used to be AC).

Bill Salisbury