[AJD] Champion Plugs - was Re: JD 70 running rough

John jmn50 at msn.com
Fri Jun 22 08:14:00 PDT 2007

  One hears a lot of antecdotal evidence of Champion Plug bashing lol of
which I may be guilty as Ive also had better luck with Autolite. Duane
Larson and Frank have more detailed scientific info on the subject of
quality and design and manufacture of the porcelain/ceramic and its porosity
which contributes to the deposition of fouling deposits on spark plug
insulators. REGARDLESS of plug brands, if we ran our tractors at 180 degrees
and under a load at full RPM versus the prolonged slow idle and no load and
cool operating temperautes at parades, plugs would last muchhhhhhhhh longer.
Use shutters etc to get them up to temperature,,,,avoid long idle
periods,,,,,run the hotetst available NON resistor plug,,,,,,,,,dont run the
carbs any richer then necessary,,,,,,,,,,,keep them well tuned and use wire
core (not carbon core suppressor wires) plug wire,,,,,and run then loaded
where possible is my best advice to lessen premature plug fouling.  Ol John
T in Indiana