[AT] History Exam, now kid memories

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Jun 21 21:32:54 PDT 2007

3 ton is kind of a nominal rating as most trucks referred to as three tons
here are hauling at least ten tons. My 1971 1600 Loadstar for example used
to be considered a good average farm grain hauler with it's 8x15 foot grain
box. It will hold 350+ bushels which is 21,000 pounds of wheat. The truck
weighs right about the 8800 pound mark. Of course 21,000 pounds is way
beyond legal carrying capacity and factory GVW rating and we don't do that.
Ford 500s and 600s were in the same class rating as my Loadstar 1600 as were
the Chev C60 and Dodge 600.
Plenty of 80s vintage trucks still working here but most trucking is done by
custom haulers with semis as gas is so expensive and the elevators are a lot
further away than they used to be.

Ralph in Sask.