[AT] History Exam, now kid memories

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Jun 20 23:25:59 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hall" <jthall at worldnet.att.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 7:44 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] History Exam, now kid memories

> OK, getting an education here. Lucky you for not needing lime--it can use
> up
> roughly 500lb per acre per wheat crop--lime is normally applied every 2-4
> years--depending on the soil tests and farming practices. We also apply,
> per
> acre, about 300lbs of 10-20-20 at planting and then topdress with liquid
> nitrogen in the spring--about 25 gal--I think it is 30%. How does our
> fetilizer use compare to yours? Oh by the way, we follow wheat with double
> crop beans and do not use fertilizer.

John, I can't comment much on the liquid fertilizer use as I don't use it.
But in the article I read they mentioned using up to 47 gallons per acre
which is a combination of nitrogen and phos.
The efficient farmers soil test to get an idea what the soil has and then
add what they feel it requires when they seed. It is fairly common to put
100 pounds of anhydrous on , which is 82 pounds of actual N. I usually add
another 60 pounds or so of granular12-55 or 28-26 with the seed. Crop is
looking great so far.
I should mention that when my Dad farmed he never used fertilizer. The crops
were seeded into black summerfallow and seemed to grow pretty good with no
additional fertilizer.
No beans seeded here but a lot of guys seed peas after cereal crops as they
do not require any nitrogen.

Ralph in Sask.