[Farmall] WD-6 Engine Block Repairs

Allan Brown abrown4804 at msn.com
Sat Jun 16 16:58:18 PDT 2007

Howdy all-

    I was repairing the leaking coolant cover on the left side of my WD-6's engine block behind the injector pump, and I took the cover off to find 3 cracks in in my block! ;-(  Does anyone have any tips for trying to weld an engine block? I have ground the cracks down enough to get some penetration, and I figured I'd see what you guys have to say before I welded it.  Any information would helpful- what kind of rod works best, recommended voltage, ect.  The engine is a D248, Tractor Serial number WDBK39486 which should make it a 1942  (That is with the 6 in the suffix removed).  Please let me know if you need any other information about the tractor or the situation...

     Last, incase the welds don't hold, let me know if you or anyone you know has an engine block or spare WD-6 they would be willing to sell.  I can talk over the phone, please e-mail me separately if you would like to go that path and I will get you my number.

Thanks for the help,

Allan Brown
Steamboat Springs, CO
Yampa Valley Antique Power Club Member