[Farmall] ideas on replacing obsolete hydraulic cylinders - backhoe

Frank & Sandy Crowe thecrowes at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 14:30:37 PDT 2007

OK, this may not be necessarily the correct place for this question, but
someone might be able to supply me with some answers.

Have a International 3514 loader tractor (1964 vintage) with a backhoe
(model is 3141 or 3121 we think) with a bad bucket cylinder.  It was
leaking, unscrewed the cap around the rod and had pieces of steel fall into
my hands.  The rod seals are held by a steel insert that has a flange around
the outside, which the big gland nut holds in place.  About 2/3 of this
flange is broken.  Now I need either to replace this packing assembly, or
the whole cylinder.

Any ideas on replacing an obsolete cylinder???

Basic dimensions:  Looks to be about a 4" diameter piston, connected by 1
1/2" diameter pins on both ends, 44 1/2" pin/pin when minimum travel, 71
1/2" extended, 2500psi (we think) upper end has to fit within a 5" wide
structure.  And, being the bucket cylinder, needs a reasonably good wiper as
this cylinder rod does get dirty and wet in use.  Pictures and better
dimensions available if someone needs them.

I know that they can be custom made, but.....

Thank you for any assistance.

Frank
  (thecrowes at hotmail.com)