[AT] History Exam

RonMyers at wildblue.net RonMyers at wildblue.net
Wed Jun 13 22:37:49 PDT 2007

thanks Charlie and you have already started yout book about the farm just
keep adding more stories to what you already have,
I grew up on a 160 acre farm in N. Cal and I should do the same thing. I
once had quite a bit written down but lost it when my old computer when
belly up.
Ron

> Sure Ron,  go ahead.  I've often thought I should write down all my
> memories
> from growing up on a coastal NC tobacco farm but I'll probably never get
> it
> done.  I was over at the farm this morning and the yellow flies were about
> to eat me alive but that's a story for another day.
>
> Charlie

>>> us.  One farmer we worked with was a share cropper.  He tended about 6
>>> acres
>>> of tobacco and roughly 100 acres total with a worn out Farmall Super A
>>> and
>>> completely worn out Farmall A.  The motor was so bad in the A that we
>>> had
>>> take turns turning the crank to start it.  A man or a strong boy could
>>> spin
>>> the crank round and round like cranking a corn sheller.  It would take
>>> long
>>> enough to get heat in the motor that it would wear the first guy out,
>>> then
>>> the second and sometimes the third.
>>>
>>> Sometimes it wouldn't crank start at all and we had to hook the Super A
>>> it and pull it round and round the tobacco barns with the Super A in
>>> high
>>> gear.  Sooner or later it would crank.  Then we let it run all day.  It
>>> would sit and run idle and blow a continuous stream of white smoke
>>> rings
>>> out
>>> the straight exhaust pipe.  Each ring would pass through the previous
>>> one
>>> if
>>> the wind wasn't blowing.  Sometimes you could see as many as 4 or 5
>>> rings
>>> at