[AT] History Exam, now kid memories

Paul pwaugh at mchsi.com
Wed Jun 13 19:21:41 PDT 2007

I lived outside of Raleigh, near Apex, (Apex now swallowed up) .. worked on
a dairy farm, peaches and tobacco, everyone worked tobacco. This was when I
was 12-15 years old .. Super A's did every thing, plow, cultivate, manure ..
just a lot of hours spent in the top of a tobacco barn at 3:00 in the
morning unloading it, my legs spread as wide as they would go .. of course
during the next few days, we loaded the barn back up, my longest day was 22
hrs, but 18 was normal, heck school CLOSED at planting season. And yeah, RC
cola and peanuts was a big treat. We had 80 acres of pasture which I
'clipped' with a 4 ft sickle bar mower on a cub .. that took the better part
of a week.  Can you imagine sending a 12 year old 1/2 mile from home with a
tractor and sickle bar mower .. in this day and age .. I don't know who
would arrest you but some one would.  I carried my own anvil and spare
parts, it took too long to come to the house for repairs.
At 16 moved back to Indiana, IH M with 2-16, that was about all it would
handle on a regular basis.  That muffler definitely turned red at dusk. One
afternoon I got the bright idea that it would sound good with out a muffler,
that damn tractor roared all night long.  Our neighbor used JD A.  I would
shut mine down just to listen to him pull through a clay hill side .. never
die, just a long time between pops.  After the planting was done the IH=H
with 2 row cultivators' became 'mine' for the next month or so .. 40 acres
in a day with 2 rows, is a long big day.

Paul Waugh