[AT] Weather keeping old tractors parked (now rambling)

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed Jun 13 19:09:26 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "charlie hill" <chill8 at suddenlink.net>

> It's mighty dry here too Farmer.  I was over at the farm today and the
> only
> thing that not twisting up and dying is the yellow flies.

    Its been too dry for flys... Not that I miss them. It has also given us
a break from too many skeeters. We have had more ticks than the Timex
factory though. A combination of this dry time and a bad cold snap earlier
has really put the brakes on a lot of fruit. Many fruit trees were starting
to bloom then froze. I saw one little apple on a small tree in the yard. No
cherries, no pears, no peaches and no plums. The strawberries are a wipe
out. It really seems strange because this is normally an area where you just
throw down seeds and stuff grows. Sometimes something takes a hit but not
usually all at once.
    I need to get the Yanmar 1500D out and mount the 5' Woods mower on it
just in case it rains someday. I did mow a few "spots" this afternoon that
were mostly weeds. They are doing well...   ;-)   We need a market for
Canada Thistle. They are growing like... well... like weeds.   :-)   If they
would find a product that they could be made into they would develop all
manner of diseases and die out... I have been running both lawn tractors
with the decks all of the way up.
    I thought it was kind of interesting that my new (bought late spring)
Deere 21 HP 48" cut tractor has been burning a little oil. Not a lot, but
enough that I have to add a tiny bit to keep it between the marks. This is a
twin cylinder Briggs that Deere brags is made especially for them. Neither
of the MTD Yard-Man mowers burn a drop of oil nor have they ever. The one I
bought very early this spring is a 22 HP twin, 46" cut and the other is the
one I have used for 3 years which is a 20 HP twin, 42" cut. That 42" has cut
a lot of very heavy grass but still burns no oil. Its oil is still very
clean and full bodied when I change it. I was going to use it for two years
and replace it but it was doing so well that I kept it three years. It was
tempting to keep it for four but I would rather sell it while it is still in
good shape. It looks very good and I think I can get half of what I paid for
it out of it.
    The 46" cut Yard-Man that I bought very early this spring was sold and
they ran a half tank of gas through it and it quit (The black paint was
still on the blades). The Wal-Mart guys couldn't make it run (surprise) so
it was taken someplace (supposedly) and they could not get it to run more
than a few minutes. It ended up back in a corner at Wal-Mart for a year. I
asked them about it and they just wanted for it to go away. I bought it for
"well" under a third of new price. I had noticed that the fuel level in the
tank was the same as the carb level. I took it home and filled the half full
tank and fired it up. It has ran flawlessly ever since. ???? (shrug) It had
to have been a spot of dirt in the little fuel pump check valve. When I
filled the tank it was then running as gravity feed. Apparently that was
enough to clean the bit of dirt out and allow it to pump fuel OK. And unlike
the new Deere it doesn't use any oil either.   :-)
    I need to do oil changes on the engines, trannies and diffs on about
half of my old tractors this summer... DANG!!! that is getting expensive
these days... Those old Farmall "M" series tractors hold about a half
zillion gallons each...   ;-)

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson