[AT] History Exam

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 12 20:04:11 PDT 2007

Rick,

Back in that day, the spark advance was not automatic as we know it.  In
order to prevent kickback while starting, either by crank or by starter, the
spark had to be put in a retarded position.  After the motor was running,
the spark needed to be advanced as necessary to obtain proper power at
running R.P.M., just as with many of our older tractors. In addition to
that, on the model A ford at least, the choke lever was on the far right
side of the cab so the rod could go directly to the carb on the right side
of the engine.  The driver had to reach across and hold the choke pulled
because it would return by spring load when you let go.  The plot thickens.
Along with that, the choke also included a carburetor adjustment.  To keep
the thing running when cold, you could rotate the choke lever to richen the
mixture.  After some warm up the lever knob would be rotated back to the
closed position for normal running conditions.  When I was a kid, these
things were considered driving 101.  The words automatic and computer were
not in the vocabulary.

Charlie in WNY