[AT] Massey Ferguson power steering

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 05:23:41 PDT 2007

I had thought that knowing the output pressure might be interesting.  I'll need to look at the plumbing, I think the lines near the pump are steel, but there should be a hose at the Charlyn (?) valve where I could tap into the system.

Dudley Rupert <drupert at premier1.net> wrote:
  Len,

I didn't see any response to your' post and offer the following in the hope
that it might be of help in your' further diagnosis -

In attempting to gain a bit more information about your' power steering
problem at idle - and I am assuming here that you have no steering problem
when the RPM is up at say run speeds - you might start by measuring the pump
output pressure at both engine idle and say 2,000 RPM.

You could accomplish this by disconnecting the pressure line from the pump
output and then installing a pressure gage to this pump output followed by a
shut-off valve and then the pressure line reconnected to the output of the
shut-off valve. After opening the shut-off valve start the tractor. After
running the tractor for a sufficient period of time to ensure that the power
steering fluid is warm bring the tractor to idle and close the valve only
long enough to take a reading and then open the valve. Now bring the
tractor up to say 2,000 RPM and close the valve again only long enough to
take a reading and then open the valve.

Learning what the pump pressures are at these two engine speeds will,
I,MMHO, be very helpful in determining where to look next.

Good luck -
Dudley
Snohomish, Washington

Len Rugen