[AT] Tractor painting--hardner in primer

Terry Welch terry1955 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 26 08:07:23 PDT 2007

You hit on the head.

charlie hill <chill8 at suddenlink.net> wrote:  Terry, Lots of industrial primers have hardners because they are epoxies.
But that is an all together different thing. They are made to seal and
protect the structure and not for the purpose of preparing the surface for a
slick pretty top coat. The epoxy primers are often top coated with
Urethane or Acrylic top coats to prevent the primer from being attacked by
UV's and chalking out.

With those epoxy primers you have a very narrow recoat time after the primer
is put on. If you top coat too soon you get bubbles from "out gasing" in
the finish coat. If you wait too late the primer is so hard that the finish
coat won't properly adhere to it.

Except for the reason skip gave I just can't imagine why someone would need
or want to add hardner to automotive primer which is what I assumed this
discussion was about.

Please don't think I'm disagreeing or disputing what you are saying. In
fact, I think we are saying the same thing.

I'm just interested in the topic and in having a broad discussion about it.

Charlie