[AT] O.T. -- Tires; Turf VS Lug

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 19:29:50 PDT 2007

I'd suggest adding industrial (I think called R4) tires into the choices.  I have them on a 4wd Kubota L3130.  They don't seem to tear up the grass as much as ag tires.  There is almost more lug than gap,  but they are tougher than turf tires.  My R4's do seem to ride pretty stiff.

On grass, you'll probably dry rot ag or R4 tires before you wear them out.  What gets tires is spinning while pushing with a loader, particularly on paved surfaces.  On the farm, I never saw a tire with lugs over half gone before the sidewalls split due to age.  All the smaller turf tires started leaking between the lugs before they rotted, but I tend to run them low for traction and less butt bounce on the bumps.

Len Rugen