[AT] Old vs. New (about TRACTORS!)

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Sat Jul 21 21:50:07 PDT 2007

This is about something that has been discussed recently....mice and old
tractors.  It also can relate to new tractors, as we found out at a party
we attended tonight.

Our neighbor a mile away has a 1 or 2-yr. old Case/IH tractor around 200
hp, or better.  He had parked it, and when he went to use it 3 weeks later
it would not start.  The computer screen in the cab (Yes, it's all
computerized.) said, "Engine disconnected."  A mechanic from a dealership
50 miles away happened to be visiting a neighbor.  He came down and hooked
his computer up, but could not find why the tractor would not start.  He
said he would come back later, but he never did.  At this point, the
neighbor called our local dealer, who sent a man out.  By now their
computer would not take a reading, nor could they get the tractor started,
so they said it would have to be hauled into the shop.  After it was in the
shop, they said there are 3 computers located behind the seat and a huge
cable going from there to the front of the tractor.  The neighbor did not
know how many wires were in the cable, but they told him mice had gotten
into the cable and chewed off 12 of the wires.  Cost of a new
cable?  $1000.   Time to install: 40 hours.
Reason for time:  Many wires plus the inside of the cab needed to be torn
out to get at them all.  The neighbor said (because the wires were all
color coded) just solder them back together.  Dealer said he could get
moisture in the cable.  Neighbor said he'd take his chances.   Tractor is
running for now.

  I'll stick with my 35-yr. old plus tractors.  Still have mice, but there
are fewer and less expensive wires to chew on.

Greg Hass
Michigan