[AT] Hottest tractor

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Jul 20 13:06:33 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "charlie hill" <chill8 at suddenlink.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Hottest tractor

.
> About the only thing worse than sitting in a tractor seat in the pouring
> rain all day long is bending over between those  tobacco rows all day long
> in the same rain storm.
>
> The heat from a muffler and the exhaust gas comming out the top feel
> mighty
> good when your hands look like bleached prunes and your clothes are soaked
> in tobacco juice (nicotine) laced rain water.

Its headed for the high 80s here today.
I've warmed my hands on the muffler too Charlie. Spring or fall could give
us some mighty cold days for seeding or harvest operations. Sitting up in
the open wind on the Cockshut 50 or 730 Case would eventually have a person
thoroughly chilled. Those were the days when the bushes were appreciated for
the bit of shelter from the wind.
Rain was not often an issue as usually once it started to rain it was too
wet to keep working. Sometimes we'd push the limits trying to finish a field
and stay out if it was a light drizzle.
Reminds of my Dad talking often of the drought of 1961. He and a neighbour
had cut the roadside hay as there was a real shortage of feed that year. It
was mostly clover and when they went to bale it the only significant rain of
the summer came up in a thunderstorm and soaked them and the hay. What
irony, not enough rain and too late to save the crop but enough to spoil the
hay.

Ralph in Sask.