[AT] Hottest tractor

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jul 19 13:50:02 PDT 2007

It was about 99deg when I left work this afternoon. I had planned on
spraying some soybeans late this evening but figured the weeds will be under
to much heat stress. I also decided to stay in the house until it gets
cooler--nothing that pressing at the shop to do. Which got me thinking about
some of the hot afteroons I've spent driving tractors. So here is my
question for you--whats the hottest tractor you ever drove?

For me it would be a gas IH 454 with underslung exhaust. The muffler runs
under the left floorboard. I have run it when it was so hot  you could not
leave your foot on the floorboard. Also, you sit straddle the
transmission--you'll only make the mistake of wearing shorts once.

What else comes to mind that is too hot to operate on a upper 90 deg day?
Definetly old combines with no air or anything with a cab and broke A/C. Our
Deere 4430 we used to have would kick out a relay when it got too hot. You
could open the windows only about 4-6" except in case of emergency
(rollover).

John Hall